Monday, April 16, 2012

Good-bye Grandpa Keyser

There have been a lot of challenges with moving to Denmark, several times while we were preparing we wondered if we really were making the right decision. Even after being here for 2 months 3 weeks and 4 days we question whether we are really strong enough to cope with all the changes we have to make. There are lots of things that we worry about, things like: are our kids going to be behind in their schooling (we don’t really know what Myra does at school but it seems like they play with dolls and watch English cartoons), how do Shannon and I make friends when getting together socially with three small kids and no car is more than difficult, how can we feel less of a burden to our church congregation that has to find translators for every meeting, will Noah’s head be permanently bruised from his constant tripping and smacking it on the hard floors (seriously, the kid falls at least once a day and never manages to catch himself)? I don’t mean to complain, we are starting to find a routine and most of the time we are content being in Denmark, and a lot of the time we still can’t believe we live so close to so many cool things; but adapting to something new is never easy.
Outwardly we probably complain the most about the things that we miss, e.g., kitchen aid, Crockpot, Wal-Mart, etc., but inwardly the hardest part has been leaving our family and friends. My Grandpa Keyser passed away last Wednesday; I feel sad that we cannot be there for the funeral. We knew when we decided to move here that it would mean we might not see some of our grandparents again. My Grandpa had been bedridden for several years, his passing does not come as a surprise (actually most people are shocked he continued living as long as he did, his nurses have been telling us he had weeks left for at least a year), yet, I still feel a sense of loss knowing he is not there.
Four generations of Altons
My Grandpa was a great man and a great example for me. My grandma is the most selfless person I know; she is constantly look for and finding ways to serve everybody around her, thinking nothing of herself. It is impossible to stop by for a visit without my Grandma preparing a full banquet of food – she lives to serve others. My Grandpa, on the other hand, lived to served her – which meant he often was involved in my grandma’s projects. The love and friendship I saw between my grandparents is exactly what I hope to achieve in my own family.
I am not an emotional person, my kids usually laugh at me if I get teary eyed, reminding me that “Dad’s don’t cry”. However when we said goodbye to my Grandpa in December, and he cried knowing that we wouldn’t see him again, I struggled and failed to suppress my own tears (luckily I don’t think the kids saw). I am grateful for families and the hope of being with him again. When we were saying goodbye before leaving he made the comment that when he was feeling better maybe he and grandma could come visit us –
Here is his obituary:
Richad Alton Keyser
1926 ~ 2012
A loving husband, father, and grandfather Richard Alton Keyser of West Valley City, passed away peacefully in his home on April 11, 2012 surrounded by his family. Richard was Born March 29, 1926 in Salt Lake City, Utah the oldest of 3 children of William and Thelma Keyser. He graduated from West High school in 1944 and served in the Navy for 2 years. Upon his return from military service during
World War II, he met and then married his eternal companion, Erma Elsie Plewe. He adored Erma in a loving marriage for 62 wonderful years. In a gospel centered home Richard and Erma raised 7 children Shauna Hubbard (Von), Craig (Nancy), Teri Clement (Harold, deceased), Kent (Judi), Mike (Claire), Brad (Tammy), and Scott (Georgia) who to this day have high regard, deep appreciation, and abiding love for a Father who was always an example and inspiration of Fatherhood. Richard is also the proud grandfather to 29 grandchildren and 23 great-grandchildren.
After attending the University of Utah for one year, Richard worked at the US Postal Service and then retired after 40 years as a Manager in Procurement. Richard was recognized for years of hard work and dependability and was a good friend to many he worked with.
Richard served valiantly in various callings in the church including Bishop of the Cannon 4th ward in the Cannon Stake. He is remembered by those he served as one who truly cared and fulfilled assignments given. He lived life to its fullest and left a legacy of love to all who knew him.
A viewing will be held in his honor on Monday April 16, 2012 from 6-8 p.m. at Redwood Memorial Mortuary, located at 6500 South Redwood Road. Funeral services will be held on Tuesday April 17, 2012, at 11:00 a.m. at the Hunter Village Ward located on 3443 South 6400 West, West Valley City. Prior to the service a viewing will be available at the church, where Friends and family may visit from 9:45 a.m. to 10:45 a.m., your attendance is welcomed.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry Chad! That breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry Chad. It is hard to lose a grandparent. Just like your grandpa, live life to the fullest. You guys are experiencing something amazing... keep it up. We love hearing about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete