Saturday, August 24, 2013

Going Solo in Copenhagen

After Chad got back from the states, he decided that I should have a little outing on my own.  So, on a nice sunny Saturday, I headed in to Copenhagen for a day of sightseeing, without the little ones!  The Bertel Thorvaldsen museum was holding a special activity, with an Italian Market out front and free entrance to the museum.  This is one of the museums we haven't been to, that I've really wanted to go to, so I was pretty excited about the opportunity to go there.  I spent some time walking around the market and then slowly walked through the museum.  Out of all the art we've seen, statues are usually my favorite.  And Thorvaldsen's do not disappoint.  He was the creator of the Christus Statue that is replicated in the LDS Visitor Center at temple square.  There is a church in Copenhagen with the Christus Statue and the 12 apostle statue that he carved.  They are so beautiful!  The museum also houses what was his personal collection, including a lot of beautiful paintings and a bunch of Egyptian artifacts, which I love!
After leaving the museum, I walked through the city and ended up at The Marble Church.  I hadn't really intended on going there, but as I walked by it, I decided to just walk inside briefly.  The last time we were there, there was scaffolding all over the place.  When I went I, I realized that they had a tour starting in just a few minutes, so I decided to go on that.  It just took me up through the domed roof and onto the top of the dome.  It was a really beautiful view over the city.  We got to stay up there for quite a while and it was really fun to get to see the city from that angle.
After leaving the church, I walked through Amalienborg Palace's grounds and out to the dock and then down to the Kastellet.  The city was so alive.  There were a lot of activities going on in the city, including Morris Dancers from England, a Jane Austen reading, an English market and tour of the English church in Copenhagen, along with some other event that was just ending when I walked through it, but that included tours of fire trucks, ambulances and a navy boat.  Too bad I didn't get there sooner.  I walked through it all, past the Little Mermaid statue which had celebrated it's 100th birthday the day before and then up onto the top of the Kastellet.  By this time, my foot was killing me, so I took a long break, sitting down, just enjoying the view.  It was hard to get going again, but I finished walked back into the city pedestrian streets where I got some dinner before heading home.  It was a fun and refreshing day.  I love going and doing these things with others, but it was a little nice to have a day on my own. 



















Not a great picture, but to climb to the top of the dome, I had to walk along all this rickety scaffolding and staircases.  It was pretty cool.






England's traditional Morris Dancers.






So crowded!

No comments:

Post a Comment